So many people, when considering hospice, think of benefits for the patient (of which there are many). At the top of the list for our patients is comfort care.
However, when I do information visits to explain hospice services to families, I always discuss the tremendous amount of help and assistance hospice offers to the families of our patients, too.
A life-limiting illness can impact loved ones, family, and friends as well as the patient. Here is a list of advantages of hospice care for the family:
- Emotional and spiritual support
- Education and teaching regarding how to physically care for an severely ill loved one at home
- Assistance and support with financial issues and concerns
- Medicine management and teaching in order to achieve optimal comfort care, and assistance with prescription refills
- Grief support and education, including anticipatory grieving (occurs before the loss of a loved one) and bereavement after a loss
- Support and education with regard to the letting-go process
- Respite care to allow care givers a time-out and rest
- Support and assistance with crisis management through 24/7 access to nursing and physician consultation and support
- Support and advocacy for health care decision-making
These are just a few of the advantages for the family and care givers of our hospice patients. If you would like to know more about how Alive Hospice may help you in your care of a loved one, call meÂ at 615-332-4003 or e-mail me.