Alive Hospice offers quarterly grief support groups to individuals who haveÂ lost a loved one (any loved one: family, friend, coworker, or any other significant person). Our autumn support groups will begin in September. As you lookÂ at your own personal journey of healing, I’d like to share my “top ten”Â reasons for joining aÂ grief support group:
10. The facilitators are experienced in the field of grief and are there to help.
9. You can learn about what is typical in grieving the loss of a loved one.
8. Your confidentiality is protected. Itâ€™s a â€śsafe zoneâ€ť where you can share the whole range of feelings youâ€™re experiencing.
7. You can learn strategies for coping with your loss.
6. Itâ€™s nice to have a place to be honest about the changes youâ€™re experiencing without fear of judgment or critique.
5. Having a set time to process your grief sometimes gives you a place to â€śput itâ€ť or to â€śsave upâ€ť for. (In other words, it provides structure!)
4. You can hear the stories of others and learn from them.
3. Itâ€™s nice to share with others about your loved ones. Often in sharing, you learn even more about their legacy.
2. Tears are welcome and understood.
1. It helps to know you are not alone in your grieving.
Our autumn support groups will meet in Nashville, Madison, Brentwood and Murfreesboro. Register by September 1! For more information, call 615-963-4732 or click here.
Ruth Williams is a counselor with Alive Grief Support Services, the bereavement support program of Alive Hospice. To reach Alive Grief Support Services, call 615-963-4732 or click here.